Monday, December 7, 2009

No Longer an Outsider

I saw “Arsenic and Old Lace” on Saturday November 21st at 8pm. While those who attended the play can agree that it was entertaining, unexpected, well performed, and worth the five dollar admission, no one can feel as I did at the end of the performance. No one was filled with a sense of happiness and pride like I was. Ok, well maybe with the exception of someone’s mom or family member, heck maybe even the director, but as I hurried down the stairs down to the stage, to praise all of my friends, I was met by the arms of the scary looking Jonathan Brewster, also known as my team member Tim Smela. I go from Control Variable to “Proud Mom” simply with a hug. Yes, I now call myself a “Proud Mom.” Tim asked what I thought of the show and I tell him I loved it, that it was wonderful, and how he did a great job. I’m pretty sure I made a snide comment about his makeup as well, but Tim of course laughed. Really though, Tim got so into character it was disturbing! His character was creepy and dark and nothing like the lovely and charming Tim that I know and love. In class on the following Monday professor Steven Fraiberg commented on Tim’s performance as well. He thought Tim’s character to be so creepy, especially with the heavy makeup that he had to wear. I hear a very familiar voice and I find myself hugging and congratulating Martha Brewster also known as my roommate Emily Nott. I was overjoyed to see her and I was and still am blown away by her performance. She totally embodied an elderly woman from her voice, to dress, to mannerisms; Emily did such a convincing job. It was great to be able to see her in character, to see the context of the lines that were repeated in my room every night. During the play I could laugh and now know what I was laughing at this time! It’s such a great feeling to be in the loop! Whoever said ignorance is bliss is wrong. Well, in this case anyways, I am glad to finally know what the play is all about. Another elderly woman, Abby Brewster then caught my eye and I am squealing with giddiness with my other team member Grace Pappalardo. I gave her a big hug as well and congratulated her on a performance well done! I tell her how impressed I am by the play and how cute of an old lady she made. I can totally see Grace when she’s older behaving as her character did in the show. As I continued to congratulate the other actors, friends, meet family members of performers, and mingle with other audience members, a fellow classmate approached me and asked, “So Kelsea, what’s it like to no longer be on the outside?” We both laugh. “Haha, very funny” I replied. She obviously recalled my previous entry on the blog about my “Outsider’s Opinion” of the play, but since the play has come to an end I guess I am now an insider. I tell her how it feels great to no longer be looking from the outside on in. I’m now looking outward with my team Brewster, Brewster, and Brewster. I’ve seen the final product. I saw my friends in character saying their lines to one another on a stage instead of in their pj’s in my room. I can now laugh knowingly and smile with pride in my friends’ talents. I am no longer the Control Variable. I am no longer dumb (well, in regards to ‘Arsenic’ anyways), I am no longer ignorant, and I now understand why and how a play can take over someone’s life, how a play can become one’s life and I realize why that doesn’t bother those involved in the play. How exciting for me to finally be able to understand all that is ‘Arsenic.’ I am so very proud of all those involved in the play. Great job again to everyone who had anything to do with ROIAL’s production of “Arsenic and Old Lace.” From the set, to the acting, to the directing, I am thoroughly impressed by the quality of this student run production. I now am looking forward to the next ROIAL production!

Oh, and Grace and Tim, always remember that Momma loves you! Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment